Monday, May 2, 2016

Simon Wren-Lewis — Neoliberalism


Neoliberalism is an ambiguous term, used differently in different contexts, but it can be defined precisely for use in a particular context.
I know what I mean when I (occasionally) use the term neoliberal. Neoliberalism is a political movement or ideology that hates ‘big’ government, dislikes any form of market interference by the state, favours business interests and opposes organised labour. The obvious response to this is why ‘neo’. In the European tradition we could perhaps define that collection as being the beliefs of a (market) liberal (although that would be misleading for reasons I give below). The main problem here is that in US discourse in particular the word ‘liberal’ has a very different meaning.…
Useful historical examination of the tern "neoliberalism."

Mainly Macro
Neoliberalism
Simon Wren-Lewis | Professor of Economics, Oxford University

3 comments:

Matt Franko said...

I'd rather debate/examine specific policies...

Kaivey said...

I always thought this was good, pretty nifty:

The Gospel of Supply Jesus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8xU-gKK17A

Peter Pan said...

No wonder they crucified him!